Thank you for writing for me and for taking the time to look at my letter. I'm sorry this turned out so long (oh, the joys of being a multishipper...), feel free to just strg+f to the relevant fandoms and pairings.
Likes: humor, crack, gen, fluff, angst, h/c, tragedy (character death is perfectly fine, I love a good cry occasionally), UST, outside POV, slice of life, getting together, secret relationships (or the couple revealing it eventually), established relationships, female characters, siblings interacting and being important to each other (happy things and arguments are both fine), loyalty, overcoming differences, cultural differences and cultures being explored in general, ARs (particularly in-verse what-ifs, e.g. what would have happened if character A had/hadn’t died, battle x hadn’t been won…), dark!AUs/dark!characters (excluding non-con), characters showing an unexpected side, underdogs having their chance to shine, tough characters going through trials and suffering, unexpected and unlikely friendships, characters doing something they are good at doing.
Do not want: PWP or anything too smutty (fade to black or vagueness are fine), serious illness, A/B/O, mpreg, non-con, bestiality, underage, genderswap, "happy" incest (a.k.a. I like the characters feeling conflicted about if it does happen). I'll add a note in the pairing specifics if exceptions apply.
The ideas and quotes below are obviously just suggestions, I'll be equally happy if you come up with different ideas. Likewise, if one of the quotes inspires you for a different pairing than the one I've listed it under, that's great too!
I hope you have fun writing! :)
The Hobbit - All Media Types
- Bilbo Baggins & Thranduil (The Hobbit): I’ve always wondered about how fast these two went from releasing the prisoners to “I name you elf-friend”, so I’d love to read something exploring that. I love dark and creepy Thranduil, so if you want to do something with that… :) Or if you like, you could throw in Thranduil somehow sensing the Ring (preferably without realizing what is going on) and being fascinated by that or somehow wanting to get on his good side.
- Bofur/Kíli (Tolkien) (The Hobbit - AMT): Alternate reality in which Kíli lives but at least one of his close relatives die and/or Kíli is gravely injured and struggles to come to terms with his new situation (or Kíli just struggles coming to terms with his new role as a prince of Erebor, if you’d prefer something slightly less angsty). Bofur manages to make him laugh again.
- Dwalin & Thorin Oakenshield (The Hobbit): I love reading about their friendship and the trials they went through. I don’t mind if it ends up shippy either, though I’m obviously just as happy about gen.
- Fíli & Kíli & Thorin Oakenshield (The Hobbit): I love fic in which Fíli and Thorin are close, perhaps even though Fíli doesn’t really think Thorin cares that much about him. Or show me Fíli and Kíli wrecking havoc while poor Thorin struggles to deal with them. (Dís added in is always a wonderful bonus!)
- Galadriel | Artanis/Tauriel (Hobbit Movies): Perhaps Tauriel couldn’t bear staying in Mirkwood after the events of the Hobbit and eventually goes to Lothlorien after wandering about. I wouldn’t mind past Tauriel/Kíli in this scenario. Or Galadriel goes to visit Thranduil and is intrigued by the young guard? Maybe Tauriel reminds Galadriel a bit of her own youth.
“How dirty she was, how thin, what a wild look she had! I have never seen a wilder-looking creature. Her eyes were bright. They were like the eyes of a wild animal.”
― Sherwood Anderson, Death in the Woods and Other Stories
- Sigrid/Tauriel (Hobbit Movies) (The Hobbit): Tauriel returns to Laketown many years later and is surprised to find out how well Sigrid remembers her. Things develop from there.
“But I love your feet
only because they walked
upon the earth and upon
the wind and upon the waters,
until they found me.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Tauriel/Lírien (The Hobbit): Perhaps they fall in love during a visit (maybe they even got to know each other before and things just click during a later visit?) and are surprised to find out there are more cultural diffences between them than they thought. Maybe both of them admire the skills the other has (while being completely inept at these things herself?)
“You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.”
― Rabindranath Tagore
- Thorin Oakenshield & Thranduil (The Hobbit): Young Thorin goes to Mirkwood on a diplomatic visit and while he wasn’t expecting the stay to be too pleasant or the elves to be all that nice or familiar, he wasn’t expecting this. Everything about Mirkwood and especially its king seems subtly wrong and eventually completely freaks Thorin out. I’d prefer this to start out with small, subtle things and either staying this way or slowly progressing into the more surreal or nightmarish stuff (I love the concept of the hallucinogenic forest and the “what’s real and what isn’t?”). Something humorous about these two would be great too, because they are such a great clash of personalities, egos and pride.
The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
- Aragorn | Estel/Halbarad (LotR): I have a thing for close, life-long friendships turning into relationships, so seeing them get together would be great. Angst about the things to come would also be very much appreciated.
“At night I dream that you and I are two plants
that grew together, roots entwined,
and that you know the earth and the rain like my mouth,
since we are made of earth and rain.”
― Pablo Neruda, Regalo de un Poeta
- Arwen Undómiel/Gilraen (LotR): I really like the thought of Gilraen not staying alone and in grief after the death of her husband, or this could be set before she marries? Feel free to end the story before Aragorn enters the picture as more than a child or go AU.
“I was like an old leafless tree until we met green buds burst and blossom
now that I have you I'll never forget what I owe you”
― Ikkyu, Crow With No Mouth : Ikkyu : Fifteenth Century Zen Master
- Gilraen & Arwen (LotR): Some foreshadowing or foresight would be great, but I don’t mind if you change when Gilraen died either and write something about mother-in-law and daughter-in-law interacting (some doubts are fine, but no hostility please). Gilraen never thought she would love again after her husband’s death, but then she slowly develops feelings feelings for that elven woman who is both far younger and far older than her.
“a wind has blown the rain away & the sky away & all the leaves away, & the trees stand. i think i, too, have known autumn too long.”
― E.E. Cummings
- Gilraen/Original Female Character(s) (LotR): I really like the thought of Gilraen not staying alone and in grief after the death of her husband, perhaps she finds love again with one of the elves in Rivendell. Or this could be set when she was a young women. Maybe OFC fell in love with her when they were young but Gilraen married Arathorn and when Gilraen went to Rivendell after his death, OFC eventually followed. This time, Gilraen does fall in love with her, even though OFC hadn’t even hoped for that to happen and just didn’t want to be parted from Gilraen.
- Arwen's Daughter/Éowyn's Daughter (LotR (Book)): They always look forward to when their parents take them to visit the other’s town and as they grow older, they slowly realize just why (this doesn’t have to mean they get together immediately, some pining is great too!)
“I will bring you flowers from the mountains, bluebells,
dark hazels, and rustic baskets of kisses.
I want to do with you
what spring does with the cherry trees.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Berúthiel (Tolkien)/Original Female Character(s) (LotR): I could see the OFC being a loyal handmaiden who came to Gondor with Berúthiel and in the unfamiliar surrounding that does little to make them feel welcome, they cling together even more. Perhaps the relationship turns obsessive and unhealthy. Or the OFC is someone Berúthiel had to leave behind and yearns to go back to. Happy, bittersweet or sad endings are all welcome. Berúthiel takes her loyal handmaiden with her to Gondor and in the unfamiliar surrounding that does little to make them feel welcome, they cling together even more. Perhaps the relationship turns obsessive and unhealthy. Or Berúthiel wasn’t able to take her handmaiden with her and yearns to go back to her.
“Here I love you and the horizon hides you in vain.
I love you still among these cold things.
Sometimes my kisses go on those heavy vessels
that cross the sea towards no arrival.
I see myself forgotten like those old anchors.
The piers sadden when the afternoon moors there.
My life grows tired, hungry to no purpose.
I love what I do not have. You are so far.
My loathing wrestles with the slow twilights.
But night comes and starts to sing to me.”
― Pablo Neruda, Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair
- Éowyn/Lothíriel (LotR): I’d love seeing Éowyn’s conflicted feelings about falling for her brother’s fiancée/wife. Make it hurt, whether it is requited or unrequited. Happy ending for these two is optional, not necessary. If you want to go AU with this one or ignore Éomer and Faramir and write something happier, that’s great too though!
“I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.
- Frodo Baggins/Sam Gamgee (LotR): Since I love anything relating to one character’s loyalty to another, that would be great for these two, as would h/c. Any era is fine!
- Ioreth (Tolkien)/Original Female Character(s) (LotR): OFC could be another healer, former patient or someone Ioreth knew when she was younger. Their daily life or some trials before the events in LotR, taking comfort in each other when the days turn dark or slowly returning to their lives after the war would all be great.
“You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Malbeth/Original Female Character(s) (LotR): Since there is some discussion about this: I see Malbeth as female and would very much prefer this in the fanfiction (non-binary!Malbeth or trans!Malbeth would be cool too though). I’d love to see OFC be equally disturbed and fascinated by Malbeth’s abilities. I don’t mind which stage of their lives this is set in, I have a soft spot for old ladies falling in love, but middle-aged or young would be interesting too (since characters like Malbeth are too often seen as “was always old”). Some age difference is fine, but not too much (e.g. ancient Malbeth and just barely of age OFC)
“The moon in all her immaculate purity hung in the sky, laughing at this world of dust. She congratulated me for my carefully considered maneuvers and invited me to share in her eternal solitude.”
― Shan Sa, Empress
The Silmarillion and other histories of Middle-Earth - J. R. R. Tolkien
- Arien/Ungoliant (Silmarillion): These two have such an interesting dynamic, Ungoliant torn in the self-destructive contrast between her hunger for light and her hatred for it. If you want to go AU and write about more human forms of them, that would be alright as well. (The bestiality and non-con DNWs don’t apply for this pairing.)
“I hunger for your sleek laugh and your hands the color of a furious harvest. I want to eat the sunbeams flaring in your beauty.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Bëor the Old/Finrod Felagund | Findaráto (Silmarillion): Because that mutual fascination is just begging to be turned into something more... ;) I’d also love to see something of Bëor’s culture. Anything addressing the power imbalance and the moral implications of that would be a great bonus.
- Celebrimbor & Maeglin (Silmarillion): I love stories about people trying to cope with the things their fathers/grandfathers have done, so anything about them bonding about that or showing how they handle it differently would be great.
- Fëanor | Curufinwë/Rúmil of Tirion (Silmarillion): Anything about these two, really. I’m quite interested in their writing systems, so some discussion or conversation about that would be a great bonus. Perhaps Feanor is trying to coax some information from Rumil about how he first came up with the idea for writing and Rumil is for some reason reluctant to give it? I also like the idea of writing having some kind of magic-like power, so if you want to build that in…
“I want to see thirst
In the syllables,
In the sound;
Feel through the dark
For the scream.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Galadriel | Artanis/Lúthien Tinúviel (Silmarillion): Getting together or sweet fluff is always great, or something more melancholy as Galadriel remembers Lúthien.
- Galadriel | Artanis/Melian (Silmarillion): They both enjoy their lessons far more than they should as they develop feelings for each other. I’m also interested in the aspect of Galadriel trying to keep the news of the first kinslaying from Melian at first.
“When I touched her body,
I believed she was God.
In the curves of her form
I found the birth of Man,
the creation of the world,
and the origin of all life.”
― Roman Payne
- Ilmarë/Thuringwethil (Tolkien) (Silmarillion): A chance encounter between the stars, opposites yet equals, loyalties being tested… This is just a fascinating pairing and I’d love to see anything about it explored!
“She has the most bizarre and beautiful soul I had ever seen. Her eyes shined always like a sky full of stars, While a huge storm was destroying everything she had in her heart and ripping her soul apart.”
― Akshay Vasu
“Your wide eyes are the only light I know from extinguished constellations.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Maedhros | Maitimo/Maglor | Makalaurë (Silmarillion): “Everything has gone to hell already, so what is there left to lose? We are all we have left anyway.” Make it sad, dark, twisted, angry, despaired... make me cry. :)
“Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.”
― E.E. Cummings
“I got lost in the night, without the light
of your eyelids, and when the night surrounded me
I was born again: I was the owner of my own darkness.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Tar-Míriel/Uinen (Silmarillion): I both like the “sunken into Uinen’s loving embrace” idea and the one of Tar-Míriel telling her secrets and wishes to the sea, with Uinen listening.
A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin
- Brienne of Tarth/Margaery Tyrell (ASOIAF): I have a soft spot for all those “a lady and her knight” tropes, so admiration, token giving etc. would all be greatly appreciated.
- Sansa Stark/Daenerys Targaryen (ASoIaF): I love the “two queens” scenario, so anything in that setting would be great. I’d also like seeing them overcome the mistrust that they would have towards each other at first. Or maybe Sansa can control the dragons by warging into them and they need to learn to work together to reach their goals, no matter how little either of them likes it at first.
“As if you were on fire from within.
The moon lives in the lining of your skin.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Sansa Stark/Margaery Tyrell (ASoIaF): Maybe they meet again for negotiations, this time on different sides and though the old restraints against starting a relationship are gone, they’ve been replaced by new ones. Or perhaps hearing some news about the other and dwelling on might-have-beens… Otherwise, moments of happiness, hurt/comfort, fluff, maybe a happy reunion instead would also be great...
“She left, never to return. I planted a tree and a seed each time I thought of her. I grew a small forest and a large garden and had no one to give the orchids to.”
― Darnell Lamont Walker
- Arya Stark & Sansa Stark: Seeing a reunion between the two or a glimpse into happier times in their childhood (perhaps including some happier moments) would be great. Or maybe a look into their relationship in the future (however that may turn out)? Anything else is fine too, just as long as neither of them is bashed.
“Once we dreamt that we were strangers. We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.”
― Rabindranath Tagore
Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
- Albus Dumbledore/Gellert Grindelwald (Rowling): I love anything from them falling in love to things getting darker and fics set past Ariana’s death. Albus being in denial at the signs that this is not going to end well even before Ariana’s death would also be great. Albus occasionally visits Gellert in prison and he is never quite sure how to feel about these visits.
“He stood in rain and the storm, watching a demon with his face standing and laughing at him on a chariot run by drunk horses. The storm threw dust into his eyes, while the demon unleashed the horses one after the other at him.”
― Akshay Vasu
- Draco Malfoy/Harry Potter (Rowling): Their slight obsession with each other in the sixth year turning into a slightly different obsession (doesn’t even have to end up with them becoming a couple, one-sided or mutual attraction is fine as well). Or they meet again years after Hogwarts. No established relationship fluff for these two, please.
- Draco Malfoy/Neville Longbottom (Rowling): Anything that shows how they overcome their prejudices and come to rely on each other (whether after or during the war) would be wonderful!
- Fleur Delacour/Nymphadora Tonks (Rowling): What if Fleur had decided to do an internship at the Aurors instead of the bank? Pure fluff or any other scenario is welcome too.
- Hermione Granger/Pansy Parkinson (Rowling): They meet again several years after Hogswarts , start a conversation, realise they have both changed and now somehow just click. Angsty forbidden love during their time at Hogwarts would be great too though.
“Your eyes are like heavy rain
falling from pregnant clouds.
With one glance, you washed away
the poems I chalked on the ground
and drowned all my beliefs.
Now, I only scribble your name
and believe in your truth.
I know nothing but you.”
― Kamand Kojouri
- Lavender Brown/Pansy Parkinson (Rowling): When Lavender falls in love, she falls hard. Even when she never even considered falling in love with her.
- Luna Lovegood/Ginny Weasley (Rowling): There is not much Ginny loves more than setting a good bat-boogey hex on anyone who tries to bully Luna (not that Luna necessarily needs help)… except Luna herself, of course. Pure fluff (perhaps something out in nature?) is also much appreciated.
“The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful.”
― E.E. Cummings
- Millicent Bulstrode/Pansy Parkinson (Rowling): When times turn dark (during or after the war), they turn to each other, their friendship of whispered secrets turning into a desperate need for affection.
- Minerva McGonagall/Poppy Pomfrey (Rowling): I’d love to see some h/c during the war or something sweet . Perhaps they leave little things to make the other smile when they know they will have a difficult day.
“I want someone to sit beside after the day's pursuit and all its anguish, after its listening, and its waitings, and its suspicions. After quarrelling and reconciliation I need privacy - to be alone with you, to set this hubbub in order. For I am as neat as a cat in my habits.”
― Virginia Woolf, The Waves
- Narcissa Malfoy/Lily Evans Potter: Perhaps they had a tentative friendship during their first year(s) at Hogwarts and eventually fell out of touch, only to fall hard for each other when they started interacting again, which is slightly terrifying since they have ended up on different sides.
- Sirius Black/Remus Lupin & Harry Potter (Rowling): Rekindling their relationship after PoA (or the war, if you go with an everybody lives AU, because let’s face it: even though Harry is technically grown up by then, he could still use a family) and taking Harry in with them. I’d like if it isn’t just smooth sailing, they all have their issues after all. Or have them planning to live together, if you want to take the canon route. Babysitting chaos with young Harry is also welcome, as is having them be the dorky gay grandparents who love spoiling Harry’s kids when they come to visit.
“A bridge of silver wings stretches from the dead ashes of an unforgiving nightmare
to the jeweled vision of a life started anew.”
― Aberjhani, Journey through the Power of the Rainbow: Quotations from a Life Made Out of Poetry
- Regulus Black & Sirius Black: Bittersweet to tragic. Standing up for each other as children, assumed betrayal, poisoning their relationship more even when they don’t want to… but still caring about each other, even if they don’t want to admit it to themselves. AU in which Sirius lives long enough to hear how Regulus really died or both of them living and reconciling would be interesting too.
“I had learned early to assume something dark and lethal hidden at the heart of anything I loved. When I couldn't find it, I responded, bewildered and wary, in the only way I knew how: by planting it there myself.”
― Tana French, In the Woods
I like seeing Merlin cracking (or almost cracking) from the stress of his daily life and the burden of keeping pretty much everything a secret. I also like magic reveals and crack theories as to why nobody ever notices that magic is going on everywhere all the time. Modern!AU with secret magic would also be great. Slice of life, outside POV, getting together, fluff, angst, hurt/comfort, drama, humor, crack…
- Gwaine/Merlin (Merlin): I’d enjoy something with Gwaine picking up the pieces when all the stress Merlin is under becomes too much.
“Give me your hand
out of the depths
sown by your sorrows.”
― Pablo Neruda
- Gwen/Morgana (Merlin): Slice of life, h/c, supportive friendship, magic reveal, angst when Gwen senses that Morgana is up to something. Something angsty about Gwen realizing that Morgana is somehow slipping away from her without knowing why would be great, whether with a happy or a sad ending. Or maybe Morgana has fully turned dark and powerful and Gwen is the only bit of light and tenderness left in her life, while Gwen in turn can’t bear to leave Morgana.
“The plants in the garden - the aloes, the almond tree, the rose tree and the iris - were afraid of her. The flowers withered under her breath and the touch of her hand was leprous for the leaves. The plants whose growth is belief, whose breathing is hope, whose immobility is confidence and whose calyx is prayer, the plants who kept watch into the night, hated this women with the secret force of stars.”
― Hendrik Cramer
- Merlin & Arthur Pendragon (Merlin): I’d love something about Merlin feeling guilty about the part he played in Uther’s death and thus Arthur’s grief. If you prefer something a bit lighter and plottier, I love the idea of something in Camelot’s water making everybody blind to even the most obvious magic. Perhaps they figure out there’s something going on with the water and fix it, only to have Merlin realize he now has to be a lot more careful…
- Merlin/Arthur Pendragon (Merlin): Arthur realising Merlin is under too much stress or magic reveal, whether the reaction is surprise/shock/etc. or something along the lines of "well, yes, that was quite obvious" would be great! I also like Arthur reborn and Merlin looking for him/finding him when he was expecting it. H/c, angst, fluff, humor, drama.
I’d be happy with pretty much any setting, no matter which culture or time period, whether it is in a fantasy setting or the real world, I’m just not a big fan of science fiction. As with fanfiction, I love getting-together stories, angst, fluff, h/c… I’m curious to see whatever you come up with, really! :) For the sciency prompts, feel free to throw in your own area of expertise if you have a science background (my own is biology, particularly botany, insects and spiders, in case you want to use or avoid that ;) ).
- Changeling & Child Spirited Away By Faeries: This constellation offers such a range of possible emotions: jealousy, odd and perhaps slightly reluctant protectiveness over the other, friendship, fascination with the other’s life and personality, the what-ifs… I’d be happy to see any of those explored!
“One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”
― Kahlil Gibran
- East India Company Officer's Daughter/Sepoy's Daughter: Exploring the cultural differences, fluff, secrecy, dealing with politics/racism/unrest invading their happy bubble, the EICO’s daughter being sent back “home” to England to get to know real society etc (and England definitely doesn’t feel like home to her; it wouldn’t even if she weren’t missing her girlfriend this much)… I’d love any of these (or other) possibilities!
“Little cramped words scrawling all over the paper
Like draggled fly’s legs,
What can you tell of the flaring moon
Through the oak leaves?
Or of my uncurtained window and the bare floor
Spattered with moonlight?
Your silly quirks and twists have nothing in them
Of blossoming hawthorns,
And this paper is dull, crisp, smooth, virgin of loveliness
Beneath my hand.
I am tired, Beloved, of chafing my heart against
The want of you;
Of squeezing it into little inkdrops,
And posting it.
And I scald alone, here, under the fire
Of the great moon.”
― Amy Lowell, The Letter
- Emperor In Civilian Disguise/Oblivious Male Revolutionary: Aside from the obvious issues and plots (which I all love as well!), the psychological side of the Emperor is what interests me in this one. Did they meet in an innocuous situation first and he did not know who the other was either? Did he for some reason try to infiltrate the revolutionaries? Does he maybe no longer want the throne? How and why did he get himself and the revolutionary into this situation?
“Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.”
― Joan Crawford
- Female Royal of Kingdom A/Female Royal of Kingdom B: I’d love to see politics becoming complicated because of their relationship, balancing state secrets and personal secrets. Fluff or getting together would be great too.
- Female Scientist/Goddess: Perhaps the goddess shows the scientist previously unexplored knowledge (Faustian pact?). I also love the idea of the scientist not knowing who she has before her but slowly figuring out something is odd and trying to figure out what is up. Anything dealing with the scientist’s skepticism would also be great. Another little plot bunny: as a present, the goddess lets the scientist create something small (that won’t interfere with the grand scheme of things): a beetle, a new mineral, a “universe in a jar” type thing with perfectly functioning solar system/plate tectonics/atmosphere…
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl
- female snowboarder/weather witch: Weather witch trying to save the snowboarder or trying to make her stay with her in the cold would both be interesting settings. Or the snowboarder tries to bargain with the weather witch to finally get some real snow instead of just warm rain.
“I can hear your whisper and distant mutter. I can smell your damp on the breeze and in the sky I see the halo of your violence. Storm I know you are coming.”
― Robert Fanney
- female summer fairy/female winter fairy: Something sweet with a pact between them and longing for each other, or a fierce rivalry with struggles and passionate feelings or anything in between would be great!
- Female University Professor/Female University Professor: Rivaling faculties, meeting at a conference, long distance correspondence turning into more when they finally meet face to face, supporting rivaling theories/methodologies on an issue (please no creationism though please, big DNW!) but when they actually meet each other that ends up being forgotten at least for the moment (maybe they even end up needing to agree to never talk about work? :D)
- Handmaiden/Princess: I can see the Handmaiden being used to keeping secrets, and this on is just a little larger than all the other ones, so she is rather more unfazed by this new development than the Princess. I also love everything to do with loyalty and familiarity.